At a Glance
- Format Live online
- Duration 3 weeks
- Hours of Study 6-10/week
- Fee $995
- Stay in Touch
- Next Start Date May 07
Agile approaches are changing how software is developed and the impact is being felt far outside the technology teams in which they originated. But there are many different agile frameworks out there. How do you choose the right one? This course provides an introduction to the lean and agile principles on which iterative and incremental development is based, and the trends accelerating agile adoption across many industries. You’ll discover how agile frameworks such as Scrum and Kanban differ from the traditional product development lifecycle and determine which approach to use, given the context in which you work. You will learn the core frameworks of iterative agile methods, like Scrum, and flow-based agile methods, like Kanban. You will see how agile project management practices combine with agile engineering practices, and what to expect from an agile team.
This course is ideal for those embarking on an agile transformation, or looking to learn more about the different agile methodologies used in the market today, whether you are leading the change or simply taking part in it. This an intensive course to agile principles and two distinct agile methodologies. It is a prerequisite to the Agile Leadership course.
Curriculum topics include:
- Introduction to lean and agile principles and methodologies
- The history of Lean and iterative and incremental (or Agile) delivery
- Understanding project complexity using the Cynefin framework
- The four cornerstones of agile project delivery
- Delivering projects through empirical process control and visible progress tracking
- An introduction to two distinct Agile frameworks: Scrum and Kanban
- Integration of agile project management practices with agile engineering practices
- How Agile helps manage increasing complexity and change in project delivery
- Define agile roles, their responsibilities and how they work together to more effectively deliver products.
- Describe the four cornerstones of agile project delivery.
- Understand the difference between Lean, Agile and Scrum, and how they are related.
- List the three mega-trends driving agile change and the prerequisite for successfully applying agile practices.
- Be able to describe the core principles/practices of Scrum and Kanban.
This course can be applied to the UBC Associate Certificate in Agile Leadership.
During COVID-19 the format of this course will be delivered live online for Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 terms. Handouts and course outline will be available through our LMS - Moodle. You will receive login details to moodle one day before the course start date. There will be 14 hours of live online class sessions. You should expect to spend 6-10 hours of study time to complete the quiz and assignment.