Social media tools have permeated the fabric of our lives, and businesses are looking for guidance in using these channels to build brand awareness and engage with their customers. The Award of Achievement in Social Media is your opportunity to gain real-world insight and practical knowledge from leading social media professionals.
The UBC Award of Achievement in Social Media is a part-time program for those aiming to take the lead in planning and implementing social media strategies.
- Delivered part time at UBC Robson Square or 100% online
- Requires completion of six courses within two years
- Costs approximately C$2,825 for the in-class program or C$3,930 for the 100% online program
- Accepts applications on an ongoing basis
- After this program you will be able to apply your skills and knowledge to building a strategic social media framework and planning a social media marketing campaign
Open all | Close all
Acquire the knowledge and build the skills you need to develop social media approaches that engage your community, support marketing strategies, develop business opportunities and build brand.
You learn to:
- define what an online community is and learn to apply the right social media tools to a community model
- build a strategic social media framework and plan a social media marketing campaign
- understand consumer behaviour and audience profiling on various social networks
- analyze, define and evaluate social metrics for ongoing business optimization
- recognize how emerging technologies are affecting social media governance, and understand the privacy issues and risks when engaging in and using social media
- define monetization and determine which models best match business goals
- identify best practices for social media and how to create a social media plan.
Who Its For
This program is for individuals who wish to take the lead in developing sound social media strategies, and understanding the application of social media tools and technology in raising brand awareness and connecting with an organizations community.
The program is beneficial for:
- managers in marketing, PR and communications
- consultants involved with web analytics
- business managers and entrepreneurs
- professionals involved in online community development.
The courses in the Award of Achievement in Social Media are offered in either in-class or 100% online formats. Courses are scheduled throughout the year, and you can register and pay for them on a course-by-course basis.
In-class: The Award of Achievement in Social Media in-class program consists of six, four-week courses that total a minimum of 72 hours of instruction. Courses are delivered in evening seminars at UBC Robson Square in downtown Vancouver. You can expect to participate and interact in discussions and class presentations. Assessment is based on assignments and class participation.
100% online: The Award of Achievement in Social Media 100% online program consists of six, six-week courses that total approximately 228 hours. Courses are delivered on an online learning platform and are structured to provide an interactive learning environment where you can engage in both the content and class discussions. In an online course, additional time for individual study and reading is required to review the course material for assignments. Tutors facilitate throughout the course and are available to provide feedback via email and through discussion forums. Courses involve an average of six to ten hours of study per week.
Each online course:
- includes reading online course material and case studies, as well as participating in online discussions, activities, quizzes and independent study
- is assessed through individual discussion posts and assignments
- has assigned completion/submission dates for each assignment (usually weekly)
- is taught by a highly qualified online tutor with direct industry knowledge and experience in adult education.
Find out more about online learning.
Assessment is based on assignments, projects and class participation if in-class, or online learning activities and discussion forums if online.
You must successfully complete the required six courses and attend a minimum of 90% of scheduled classes or seminar sessions (in-class), and/or complete all readings of lectures, readings and online learning activities (100% online) with a minimum of 60% on all graded assignments. You have up to two years to complete the six courses.
The emphasis in these courses is on acquiring conceptual and practical skills in developing social media strategies, metrics and marketing plans for an organization. The Award of Achievement in Social Media encompasses the following six required courses:
|Required Courses||Format(s)||Next Offering||More|
|Social Media Foundations (ID200)||Online or In-class||
Sep 12-Oct 3, 2017
|Social Media Metrics (ID223)||Online or In-class||
Nov 7-Nov 28, 2017
|Social Media Strategy and Marketing (ID206)||Online or In-class||
Oct 12-Nov 2, 2017
|Social Media Governance (ID226)||Online or In-class||
Oct 4-Nov 15, 2017
|Social Media Monetization (ID220)||Online or In-class||
Sep 11-Oct 2, 2017
|Social Media and Content Marketing (ID228)||Online or In-class||
Nov 1-Dec 13, 2017
Note: Curriculum and program requirements for completion are subject to change.
Social Media Foundations (formerly Social Media Fundamentals) is recommended prior to taking other UBC Sauder Continuing Business Studies social media courses. For those taking the Award of Achievement in Social Media, Social Media Foundations is a required course.
The following courses may be of interest to students interested in social media topics.
|Courses of Interest||Length||Format|
|Build Your Profile with LinkedIn - Introduction||Half day||In-class||More|
|Social Media Workshop||1 day||In-class||More|
|Build Your Profile with LinkedIn - Intermediate||Half day||In-class||More|
|Social Video Workshop||1 day||In-class||More|
Highly qualified instructors and/or online tutors with direct industry knowledge and experience in adult education teach the courses in the Award of Achievement in Social Media.
There is no fee to submit an application; however, a one-time $200 administration fee is due upon acceptance into the program.
In-class program fees are paid on a course-by-course basis and total approximately C$2,825 based on current course prices.
100% online program fees are paid on a course-by-course basis and total approximately C$3,930 based on current course prices.
Books or related course materials may constitute an additional cost in some cases. Fees are subject to change.
Applications to the program are accepted on an ongoing basis. A $200 non-refundable administration fee is due upon acceptance into the program.
To apply to the Award of Achievement in Social Media, you need to:
- meet the admission requirements (see below)
- fill out an online application form and provide any supporting documents.
The admissions process helps to ensure that the needs, intentions and expectations of participants are adequately matched to the program's objectives and capabilities. Admission to the program may be limited by the availability of courses, facilities and instructors. To accommodate learners from a variety of backgrounds, the admission requirements for the Award of Achievement in Social Media are fairly broad. However, all applicants must have the following:
- post-secondary education: a college diploma or bachelors degree, or if a mature student must be a secondary school graduate and have three years of relevant work experience
- three to five years of work experience
- strong written and spoken business English skills for participation in one-on-one interactions, group work, presentations, projects and assignments and in electronic communications. Non-Native English speakers may be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting the results of language proficiency tests and may also be subject to an interview prior to admittance. Find out more about acceptable tests and minimum scores.
To apply to the program, you will be asked to submit:
- a completed application form
- a letter of intent (max. 500 words). This should include personal and/or career goals, interests and program expectations
- a resumé documenting educational achievements and relevant work or volunteer experience
- names, phone numbers and affiliations of three professional or academic references.