The UBC Certificate in Digital Strategy prepares you to champion innovation across your organization and lead in the digital space. The program provides you with a roadmap to acquire the skills, knowledge, and insights needed to lead your organizations digital strategy.
Developed and taught by industry thought leaders, strategists, and practitioners, this innovative and leading-edge program focuses on implementing digital strategies across an organization and cross-functional teams. Learn creative and critical thinking strategies and frameworks needed to drive change in your organization, implement data-driven decisions, and create a culture where digital thrives.
- Delivered part-time, 100% online
- Developed by a diverse group of industry professionals, thought leaders, strategists, digital innovators, and academics
- Consists of four courses, each six weeks long
- Ideal for people with at least five years' experience in leading teams or start-ups, managing resources, and implementing strategies
- Costs C$5,860
Open all | Close all
Through this program, learn how to develop a digital strategy that embraces both disruption and change as opportunities for innovation. Create a new business model, assess your digital maturity, and prepare a data strategy that measures ROI and moves your organization toward digital transformation.
In this program, learn to:
- apply critical and creative thinking strategies to build a framework for a digital strategy
- assess your organization's culture, digital maturity, and lead as a digital champion
- build a business model that responds and adapts to new opportunities
- create a gap analysis and prioritize resources that challenge your digital maturity
- develop a data strategy based on actionable insights that drive results
- articulate privacy and ethical guidelines that support your digital governance
- lead high-performing, cross-functional teams and attract the right digital talent
- identify stakeholders, establish buy-in, and pitch a plan that aligns with your goals.
Who It's For
This program is ideal for people with at least five years' experience in leading teams or start-ups, managing resources, and implementing strategies. Participants include managers and entrepreneurs, as well as digital professionals who are moving into leadership roles.
Participants come from marketing, communications, analytics, finance, technology, IT, web development/UX, and business development, and from industries such as technology, IT, finance, insurance, entertainment and media, professional services, health, education, resources, government, and non-profits.
During each online course, you spend 6-10 hours per week reading or viewing course content, industry stories, articles, videos and white papers, and participating in online discussions and independent study.
Find out more about online learning.
Assessment and Graduation Requirements
Throughout the program you are assessed on the strategies, insights, and business models that you create for an organization. This can be the organization you work for, a client, or one youre closely related to. Ideas are presented via interactive digital tools such as the Business Model Canvas and Value Proposition Canvas as found in the Business Model Generation Handbook and created by Strategyzer.
You will have the opportunity to assess your organization's readiness and impact in the digital space, as well as build your digital skills and competencies throughout the program.
To receive the UBC Certificate in Digital Strategy, you must complete all four required courses within two years.
Strategic Thinking in the Digital Context is recommended but not mandatory before taking other courses.
The program is taught and facilitated by experienced and practising industry experts in digital strategy and leadership.
A diverse group of academics and industry professionals developed the UBC Certificate in Digital Strategy and it continues to evolve as new digital technologies, approaches, and models emerge. An advisory committee consisting of university faculty and staff, industry thought leaders, strategists, and digital innovators facilitated the design and development of the curriculum.
- Angele Beausoleil, Chief Innovation Officer, Agent Innovateur Inc.
- Christopher Berry, Co-Founder, Chief Science Officer at Authintic; former VP Measurement, Science Syncapse
- Paul Cubbon, Instructor, Marketing Division, Sauder School of Business, UBC
- Rochelle Grayson, Program Advisor, Rochelle Consulting; former CEO, Book Riff.
- Andrea Hadley, Partner/ President, dStrategy Media, Digital Strategy Conference
- Nick Jones, Director, Founder Nick Jones Consulting; former Digital Product Development, CBC
- William Koty, Director, Centre for Sustainability, UBC Continuing Studies
- Kelly Kubrik, President, Online Authority.com
- Matthew Snyder, Founder & CEO, Analog.Digital.Objects Inc.; Co?Founder, ResponsiveAds; Founder and Producer, MXM (MediaCrossMedia) Events
- Jim Southcott, Partner, Southcott Strategy; former Chief Strategic Officer, Station X
- Michael Tippett, Director, New Products, Hootsuite, CEO/Co-Founder, Ayoudo; Founder, NowPublic.com
A $200 non-refundable administration fee is due upon acceptance into the program. Course fees are paid course-by-course (C$1,465 per course) and total C$5,860, plus the administration fee.
Participants should be aware that texts, materials and software related to courses may constitute an additional cost are not included in the tuition fees.
It is not necessary to apply to the program and be accepted before registering for courses. However should you wish to graduate with the certificate you will need to apply to the program.
Course textbooks are not included in the tuition fees. Students are responsible for purchasing their own books from online book sellers or publishers, or local book stores, and may be mandatory in order to complete online assignments and readings. View the list of books and readings required for all the courses.
Applications to the program are accepted on an ongoing basis. There is no cost to submit an application; however, a $200 non-refundable administration fee is due upon acceptance into the program.
Please download and read the program handbook carefully before applying as it contains important information about the program and its policies. If you would prefer to receive the handbook in the mail, contact us with your complete name and full mailing address.
In order to apply to the certificate program, you need to:
- meet the admission requirements (see below)
- fill out an online application form and provide supporting documents
- read and understand the terms and conditions in the program handbook .
The admissions process helps to ensure that the needs, intentions and expectations of participants are adequately matched to the program's objectives and capabilities. Admission to the program may be limited by the availability of courses and online instructors.
Applicants should have the following:
- a post-secondary education
- at least five years of relevant experience such as leading digital teams or start-ups, managing resources, and/or implementing strategy
- a management background gained through professional experience in such areas as marketing, communications, analytics, technology, business development, finance, or HR experience with digital platforms, web/digital analytics, or social media
- strong written and spoken business English skills for participation in one-on-one interactions, group work, presentations, projects and assignments and in electronic communications. Non-Native English speakers may be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting the results of language proficiency tests and may also be subject to an interview prior to admittance. Find out more about acceptable tests and minimum scores.