This interactive workshop providing an introduction to the key concepts behind Kanban, one of the most popular agile frameworks. Starting with an overview of Lean and flow-based methods, the course describes the six key principles of Kanban, from visualizing your workflow to collaboratively improving through experimentation. Participants will have the opportunity to create their own Kanban boards, and learn how to apply each of the six principles to continually improve the delivery process.
Visualizing your process with a Kanban board is just the first step. Participants will learn how to constrain work-in-progress to expose bottlenecks in their systems. Using the Theory of Constraints and tools like Cumulative Flow Diagrams, participants will be able to identify where the bottlenecks are and learn how to alleviate those bottlenecks.
Kanban is a universal process visualization and improvement framework, used everywhere from systems administration to project delivery to portfolio management. While the course is designed for teams interested in Lean Software Development and Kanban for software delivery, anyone interested in continually improving how they get work done will benefit from the ease and simplicity of Kanban.
Curriculum topics include:
- Introduction to one-piece flow and its impact on predictable software delivery.
- The 6 core practices of Kanban and how to apply them.
- Creating a Kanban board and limiting WIP (work-in-progress).
- The power of transparency and tracking to highlight constraints to flow.
- Applying the Theory of Constraints to identify and alleviate process bottlenecks.
- Measuring the health of your process using Cumulative Flow Diagrams.
- Use Kanban to visualize and manage project or program portfolios.
- Describe the 6 practices of Kanban and how they work together.
- Be able to create a Kanban board to visualize workflow.
- Identify the difference between lead time and cycle time, and the lure of one-piece flow.
- Describe how to alleviate a bottleneck in your process.
- Learn how to use Kanban boards in portfolio or program management.
Standard Fee: $790
The format of this course is in-class.