Starting with foundational knowledge of the role and function of the business analyst, identify, analyze and design business analysis processes to improve business workflows in both waterfall and agile methodologies. Through examination of a case study, apply interviewing and elicitation techniques, explore Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems and make recommendations. Construct a business analysis plan that incorporates process-modelling diagrams. The course follows International Institute of Business Analysis™ (IIBA®) industry standards and includes a PDF version of A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge® (BABOK® Guide) as well as a copy of the Agile Extension to the BABOK® Guide.
This is a fundamentals course that prepares participants for the next six courses of the UBC Certificate in Business Analysis by introducing key terminology and concepts addressed in the later more detailed courses of this program.
Curriculum topics include:
- The evolution of the Business Analysis: The Historical Perspective role
- The Business Analyst's Role in the Modern Organization
- Core Competencies of the Business Analyst
- Overview of the BABOK® Guide and introduction to the Agile Extension to the BABOK® Guide
- Enterprise analysis and stakeholder engagement
- Project Lifecycles
- The Market for Business Analysts Documenting business processes, rules, and best practices
- Business Process modelling and flowcharting with Activity and Swimlane Diagrams
- Strategic analysis for requirements elicitation
- Building a Business Case and solutions recommendations and implementation
- Business Analysis Planning and Monitoring
- Project Modelling and Flowcharting
Earn 36 CDUs/36 PDUs.
IIBA® and Business Analysis Body of Knowledge® (BABOK®) are registered trademarks owned by the International Institute of Business Analysis.
The format of this course is 100% online. Prior to 4pm PST on the start date of the course, an email will be sent to all registered students containing instructions on how to access the online Learning Management System.