Calling all talented instructors!
Our Programs are growing and we'd like you to grow with us.
Open all | Close all
Preferred qualifications include:
- a good command of the English Language
- a university degree from an accredited institution
- additional education relevant to the field (where appropriate)
- at least five years industry experience
- experience teaching adult learners
- energy, enthusiasm and expertise in your subject area
- flexibility in your schedule.
If you would like to join our team, complete the application form indicating the subject areas you are currently teaching or interested in teaching and insert a copy of your most current resumé.
Please also indicate whether or not:
- you have developed your own curriculum in the area
- you are willing to develop new curriculum in the area
- you will need to use "off-the-shelf" curriculum.
We are not actively looking for a instructional designers but we will keep your resume on file if opportunities arise.
Project durations are usually 4-6 months in length.
Effort: approximately 10-15 hours per week
A graduate degree in Online Instructional Design, Instructional/Educational Technology or education, curriculum design with experience in distance education.
- Thorough understanding of instructional design, including adult learning theories, learning styles, and learning outcome assessment techniques.
- Working knowledge of learning management systems and CMS capabilities.
- Knowledge of current and emerging instructional technologies.
Along with required experience above, it is desired to have someone with at least five years of experience in the field of instructional/educational technology including designing, and managing higher education e-learning projects/programs.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent professional interpersonal skills and organizational skills.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge, understanding, and application of instructional design theory and principles, adult learning theory, and instructional technology.
- Self-motivated, organized, and detail-oriented team player who is capable of participating in collaborative instructional development processes and activities.
- Superior oral and written English communication skills.
- Advanced writing and editing skills, MS Office.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the application of adult learning theory and best practices using e-learning application and authoring tools.
- Understanding of Web 2.0/social media to promote learner-centred approach to enhance and extend active learning.
Major Position Responsibilities/Duties
- Provides support for the instructional design cycle of clarifying instructional objectives; designing, developing and implementing instructional strategies; selecting appropriate technology tools; and assessing the effectiveness of the instructional strategies and/or the technology tools.
- Provides recommendations for sequencing of instruction, design of course materials and activities, interface design, instructional architecture, use of assessments, evaluation metrics provide final quality control check on lessons and all supporting material.
- Insures the implementation of instructional design theory and the appropriate utilization of instructional technology, technology tools, and media to enhance learning and interaction.
- Collaborates with course developer and development staff to deliver pedagogical and technical skills necessary for developing and delivering interactive and engaging e-learning courses.
- Oversee the design throughout the projects lifecycle to ensure instructional integrity.
- Request needed course support materials from publishers and others paying attention to Intellectual Property.
- Review and analyze the course before it goes live making sure that the course is aesthetically appealing, designed for the best learning experience for the student.
Commensurate with education and experience
To apply, complete the application form.
UBC Sauder Continuing Business Studies on occasion has opportunities for Online Tutors in the following programs:
- Award of Achievement in Social Media
- Award of Achievement in Digital Analytics (delivered in partnership with the Digital Analytics Association)
- Certificate in Business Analysis
- Certificate in Digital Strategy
- Certificate in Project Management - 100% online version
UBC's online tutors are business professionals experienced in facilitating online adult education. The successful candidate will be responsible for the online facilitation and guidance of students on a one-to-one and group basis. Online tutors guide and grade through continuous email communication as well as online discussions, assignments and projects to ensure that students get the most out of their learning experience.
Responsibilities of the online tutor:
- emailing students to welcome them to the course and introduce themselves
- interacting with students ensuring learning outcomes of the course are being met
- interacting with Program Managers during the course
- grading and assessing of students' coursework.
Participant support (75% of time): be a source of information to the discussions. Provide feedback to the participants on their online assignments and individual projects.
Assessment (25% of time): Monitor the Discussion Groups and track online assignments. Assess and grade Individual projects. Periodically post grades in a timely manner.
The ideal candidate should possess the following:
- an undergraduate degree, plus at least two years experience in adult education - teaching or tutoring an asset.
- expert knowledge in or be a professional working in the subject matter of the particular course.
- excellent written communication skills.
To apply, complete the application form.
UBC Continuing Studies hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply.